My file menu is not full of eels
by James Turner
Last week, a user reported that the ‘File’ menu of the application was not appearing on macOS.
Some investigation showed this didn’t happen when using the default translation (i.e English), but a bit more investigation showed that it only happened when the language in use was Dutch.
Fixing a common antipattern when loading translations in Qt
by Miłosz Kosobucki
“I’m a Polish guy working with computers, mostly on Windows. However, the lingua franca of the IT industry is English, so every time I see a tutorial for some dev tool, it’s in that language. To lessen the burden of decoding which menu entry in the tutorial corresponds to which menu entry on my PC I decided to run the system with an English display language.”
Containers – Cloud tech comes to embedded
by Till Adam and Sven Knebel
This white paper provides a general overview of containers in embedded from our own knowledge, research, and experience, as well as that from our partner Toradex – also an expert in embedded containers.
Hopefully, it will help you answer if now is the right time to add this technology to your embedded tool chest.
GammaRay online tutorials
We’re delighted to announce the launch of our brand new series about GammaRay™, the introspection tool for Qt applications developed by KDAB. Let one of our presenters, Giuseppe D’Angelo explain what you’ll learn:
Online CMake training – August 25th
CMake has strong support for building Qt applications and will replace qmake as the build system for Qt in Qt6, so it’s more than a useful alternative if you hit limitations in qmake.
A one-day online training course together with James Turner, KDAB Senior Software Engineer who has been developing Qt since 2002. James will teach you all the basics you need to start with CMake but will leave out labs and some advanced topics that are covered in the two-day classroom training.
- SIGGRAPH – Aug 17 – 22 What’s not to like about this mega online virtual event for transformative advancements in computer graphics and interactive techniques, with Marco Tempest as Keynote speaker.
- KDE Akademy – Sept 4 – 11 KDAB is very proud to be Platinum sponsor at this community-based event, and will be offering half-day training online in QML, UI/UX design, Debugging for Linux, and Multithreading in Qt, free to KDE members.
- Qt Desktop Days – Sept 7 – 11 KDAB is hosting this desktop-focused event during the second half of KDE Akademy, with live online talks and Q&A from Qt partners and the Qt community. Look out for the official launch and think about a 45 minute talk you’d like to present. CfP opens soon.
- CppCon – Sept 13 – 18 KDAB is proud to be Bronze sponsor at the biggest global annual event for the C++ community, now gone virtual. Find out more and register…
- Meeting Cpp – Nov 12 – 14 A mix of live in Berlin and online, with Keynotes from Jonathan Boccara and Teresa Johnson. Read the latest from organizer Jens Weller and join the waiting list.
Visit our page Upcoming events for more updates…