the complete design-to-code workflow solution
Kuesa 3D is a complete design-to-code workflow solution for 3D in real-time applications, centered around the open glTF™ 2 3D format which is supported by applications like Blender, Maya, 3ds Max and others.
Kuesa 3D Studio allows designers, using the tools they know and love, to realize and adjust their vision in real-time without loss of quality – easily iterating designs as needed. Kuesa 3D Studio gives developers a high level API letting them easily integrate the result into a software environment, with full code level access for adjusting all aspects of 3D content. Kuesa 3D Studio is available under license from KDAB for full deployment on all supported platforms.
KUESA 3D Studio’s workflow
There are traditionally two main workflows to integrate real-time 3D content into an application:
- Hand-made workflow: the designers create videos of the scenes and the developers recreate them in code, leading to lots of communication overhead, misunderstandings and suboptimal results.
- External tool workflow: the designers and developers work on a common tool for editing the scene for integrating into the application limiting both to the constraints of the tool and creating a black box which provides little control.
Kuesa 3D Studio provides an easy, integrated and unified workflow without any compromises for designers and developers giving:
- great performance on both desktop and embedded boards
- high quality real-time 3D scenes
- full expressiveness for designers, using professional 3D design tools
- full control of integration for developers
- extremely fast update workflow
- reduced time to market.
The workflow is based on the glTF™ (GL Transmission Format) format designed by the Khronos Group, a royalty-free specification for the efficient transmission and loading of 3D scenes and models by applications supporting vendor extension.
KUESA 3D Studio’s strengths
- Uses professional 3D design tools for scene creation: 3ds Max®, Blender…
- Provides tools for previewing, optimizing and checking assets
- Provides a seamless integration in Qt and Qt 3D applications
- Gives full control of the scene from the code, for complex interaction
KUESA 3D Studio’s components
KUESA 3D Design Plugins: for 3D digital content creation (DCC) application plugins. Used by the designer to create the 3D scenes, and ultimately export them to glTF™.
KUESA 3d Tools: a collection of utilities used by designers, developers or integrated into a continuous integration system for previewing, conditioning, sanity checking and optimizing assets.
KUESA 3D Runtime: a set of libraries on top of Qt and Qt3D used by the developers to integrate the scene in the application. Provides a high-level API as well as a full control of the 3D scene.
KUESA 3D Studio is for designers
Designers use the professional 3D design tool they know best to create the 3D scenes. Tools such as 3ds Max® and Blender have all the features needed to create stunning animations in a very efficient way. The Kuesa 3D digital content creation plugins integrate into the 3D design tool to add new features:
- Material support: sets of materials supported by Kuesa 3D Studio during export
- Feature enablers: properties or items that can be leveraged later by the developers (like layers)
- glTF™ exporter: export the scene in glTF™ format
New for designers in Kuesa 1.2
- Iro Materials: materials to simulate reflections, paints with clear coats or simple transparent surfaces
- Support for Blender 2.8:
- extensions to allow exporting Iro Materials to glTF 2.0 files.
- updated Kuesa Blender add-on to show a real time WYSIWYG preview of the Iro Materials in Blender.
- Improved animation: animate material, lights or camera properties in Blender, export the scene as a glTF file (with the extensions) and load it with Kuesa Runtime.
Kuesa 3D Studio is based on top of PBR (Physically Based Rendering) materials which approximate real world physics in real-time with a photo-realistic result. The materials used in the 3D design tool and the engine are the same, so the result will look alike in both applications.
KUESA 3D Studio is for developers
Developers have full control of the workflow. They can leverage all Kuesa 3D Studio tools to preview, condition, sanity check and optimize assets. For example, the asset pipeline editor can help them preview and introspect the scene.
Kuesa 3D runtime is built on top of Qt 3D, which itself was created and is maintained by KDAB engineers, so they know it inside out. Kuesa 3D runtime provides seamless integration in your Qt application, with added features:
- Imports glTF™ files, with specific Kuesa 3D extensions
- Supports PBR materials
- Provides an optimized default frame graph (high level description of the OpenGL pipeline configuration)
- Gives full access to the scene items via collections
Kuesa 3D Studio is easy to integrate into any 3D or hybrid 2D / 3D Qt application. Developers are free to use either the C++ or the QML API and can access all the internals of the 3D scenes from the code – opening the way to all kinds of improvements ranging from adding special effects or user interactions to creating an optimized frame graph for a specific board.
A packaged and supported version of KUESA™ 3D Runtime is available as a stand-alone part of Kuesa 3D Studio so that R&D Teams can easily evaluate and test existing designs in working code. See more below.
Give it a try
KUESA™ 3D Studio is available under both an AGPL and Commercial license, the source code is available on our github repository below. You may need to download an existing plugin for your 3D design tool to export to glTF 2.0.
- KUESA runtime: https://github.com/KDAB/kuesa
A packaged and supported version of KUESA™ 3D Runtime can be purchased here.
New for developers in Kuesa 1.2
- Ability to load custom glTF materials
- Improved / simplified API (e. g. for binding property changes of asset nodes in QML)
- Profiling capabilities (as part of Qt3D (Qt 5.15 upwards)
- Animation extension (parse custom animation(-properties))
Since it is built on top of Qt 3D, you can use the full Qt 3D API to further customize your application.
Check out the videos below to view practical demonstrations of Kuesa:
KUESA™ 3D: Qt & Qt 3D Real-time Music Box
KUESA™ 3D Studio vs. conventional 3D design and development workflow
Stop wasting time in 3D design and development! A KUESA™ 3D Studio Tutorial
Kuesa 3D Studio Tutorial: Preparing 3D assets for realtime export
How to create a fully interactive 3D app with Kuesa 3D Studio
How to prepare Qt 3D assets for Kuesa 3D Studio with 3ds Max®
Get in touch:
KDAB’s experts can not only support you to get started with Kuesa 3D Studio through on-site training classes and workshops, but also integrate, customize and optimize the workflow and code for your application, if that’s what you require.Contact us